Friday, June 4, 2010

Something different: The Guggenheim Grotto!

Remember my music blog One Note Ahead? Remember how much I praised Dublin, Ireland's Guggenheim Grotto on it? No? Let me refresh your memory:

"Throughout two generous sets, Kevin May and Mick Lynch filled the room with their superb harmonies and skilled instrumental accompaniment. And yes, they came prepared with lots of quality material. [...] And while The Guggenheim Grotto's sound is based in British and North American folk/pop, [their 2nd album] Happy The Man is fleshed out with elements of electronica, rock, traditional Irish music, and whatever else the lads could throw in to mix things up a bit."

Oh, Happy The Man -- One Note Ahead's 2009 Album of the Year! Yes, now you remember!

The Guggenheim Grotto have a solid new album out, The Universe Is Laughing. To celebrate this, they're in the midst of June residencies in New York City and Philadelphia -- and here's where I come in. Last year, during a January residency at Philadelphia's World Cafe Live, Mick and Kevin developed a tremendous local following, allowing them to make a triumphant return to the venue in April. This month, they're playing every Thursday night at the Tin Angel, and after attending the opening show as a fan, I'll be helping the band out with the remaining three. How?

First off, supplemental promotion. I have the Philly connections, you know, so I might be able to help the lads build the same kind of momentum they got at World Cafe Live last year. The shows are just $10 apiece, 21+, doors at 8, shows at 8:30. The remaining dates are June 10th, 17th, and 24th. And get this: for the first time ever, Mick and Kevin are touring the US with a rhythm section! If you want advance tix, check out http://www.tinangel.com/schedule.html and click on the showtime links.

Secondly, I will be branching out from PR and manning the merch table at the remaining Tin Angel shows! So come say "Hi" and while you're at it, pick up any or all of The Guggenheim Grotto's three albums!

I'm very excited about this because, even though it is a small side project, it marks the first time I'll be doing Philly PR for a non-Philly act. I've been wanting to do that for quite a while now. As for the merch table, well, I'm open to trying new things!

Coming soon: HUGE news about The Josh and Pete Band, and (I hope) updates on The Escape and Bad Apples!

1 comment:

Shaheen J. Dibai said...

Actually, I'm not sure about the merch table. They ended up not needing me last night and it remains to be seen whether they'll need me for the remaining two. I have been helping to promote the shows, though. Last night's show got a good turnout, and there should be some exciting news to report soon!

Post a Comment